Re: error 12154. TNS: Unable to connect to destination

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 17:19:05 +0200

JG Watts wrote in message <35F3D3ED.B04ACFB2_at_one-ten.co.uk>...
>Can anyone help me?
>
>I have just installed Oracle 8 on my nt4.0 sp3 machine. I invoke Server
>Manager via the command line and try to connect to it with 'connect
>INTERNAL/oracle' but I keep getting error12154: TNS: unable to connect
>to destination. Then I prompts me for a password. I looked up the error
>and it seems I need to put my machine name into the Listener.ora file.
>Considering the Server is my machine and also the client, do I need to
>set up Net8 or whatever it is. Also, upon installation the comand line
>box came up with the same error message and prompting me with a
>password. I put oracle as the password. Has anyone come across this
>before?

Probably you have set \\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle\Local variable in registry. It is the reason why you saw SQL*Net error while connecting as internal/oracle.
It should contain sqlnet 2 (or sqlnet 8) alias to default database. You should configure and start SQL*Net 8 listener if you want to connect to your db via sqlnet. And, of course, set up tnsnames.ora via SQL*net Easy Configuration for example.

But... Really you needn't use sqlnet to start your db. Then remove or rename \\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle\Local because it would be treated as default database. Assume that your instance is foo.
At the command prompt type:

C:\> set oracle_sid=foo
C:\> svrmgr80
SVRMGR80> connect internal/oracle
Connected to idle instance

It also works with other tools on local machine: C:\> set oracle_sid=foo
C:\> start plus80w system/manager

HTH,
Piotr Kolodziej
pkol_at_otago.gda.pl Received on Mon Sep 07 1998 - 10:19:05 CDT