error 12154. TNS: Unable to connect to destination

From: JG Watts <JasonW_at_one-ten.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 13:39:09 +0100

Can anyone help me?

I have just installed Oracle 8 on my nt4.0 sp3 machine. I invoke Server Manager via the command line and try to connect to it with 'connect INTERNAL/oracle' but I keep getting error12154: TNS: unable to connect to destination. Then I prompts me for a password. I looked up the error and it seems I need to put my machine name into the Listener.ora file. Considering the Server is my machine and also the client, do I need to set up Net8 or whatever it is. Also, upon installation the comand line box came up with the same error message and prompting me with a password. I put oracle as the password. Has anyone come across this before?

Thanx in advance

JG Watts Received on Mon Sep 07 1998 - 07:39:09 CDT