Re: Oracle Webserver Authentication

From: Andreas Huber <andreas.huber_at_aua.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 11:50:57 +0200

Basically all comes out to sending a 401 error to the browser indicating you request basic authentication (see the http RFC for details). Now depending on the webserver and language you use there are several ways to accomplish this:
- with IIS it is sufficient to restrict access to html pages to certain users (as opposed to everyone)
- so (provided you have any static html pages) you could attempt the same thing

Don't worry, you only need this on one startup page, the browser will keep sending credentials with each and every request to your domain after the first 401.

Hope this helps

Andreas