Re: Pooling or Connecting Back to Session

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 10:44:45 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Rob Edgar" <robedgar_at_hkstar.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 18:13:45 +0800, you wrote:

>We are using 7.3.3.6 running on NT.
>
>I have been told it is possible (though not how) to be able to set some
>parameter so that you can disconnect and reconnect back to a session, ie the
>session doesnt get killed when an application closes but after some timeout
>period. If the same user comes back before the timeout he gets given back
>his old session, advantage being that there isnt the usual time delay in
>creating a new session.

No, this is not possible. There is a feature with Net8 -- not 7.x stuff -- when using Parallel Server to fail a connection over to another instance if the instance you were connected to shutdown or otherwise failed. That might be what you have heard about.

Another feature of Net8 that this might be is a feature whereby net8 will disconnect you from the instance after some idle time, reconnecting you when you become active again. This cuts down on the resources needed on the server when you are idle. This is transparent and happens in the background -- your application isn't aware of it.

>OK not exactly earth shattering. So this is sometime called pooling, I am
>just trying to be careful in desribing exactly what I have been
>told<g>...... My understanding is that pooling only works with MTS and that
>MTS isnt available on NT but then again I might be wrong.
>
>Anyone know better
>
>Rob

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Mon Aug 31 1998 - 05:44:45 CDT