Re: Sybase ASA vs MS Access vs MS SQL Server

From: Ng K C Paul <paulkcng_at_news.netvigator.com>
Date: 1998/08/28

Yes, * minimal administration, connection, hardware and software costs -

       requiring only 2MB RAM and 10 MB of hard disk storage, SQL
       Anywhere is a perfect remote database that will not require
       expensive hardware or software upgrades

   Linkname: Sybase's Mobile Computing

Terry Dykstra (dont_spam_me_tdykstra_at_cfol.ab.ca) wrote:
: It's very stable. I have SQLAnywhere (which now is called ASA) running on
: a NT server. I basically don't have to do any maintenance on it. It just
: runs and runs and runs. And the memory footprint is absolutely minimal.
: The latest version is going Java. It doesn't have all the bells & whistles
: of System 11. But you have all your 'regular' sql, stored procedures,
: triggers etc.
:
: Terry Dykstra (TeamPS)
: Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
:
: Ng K C Paul wrote in message <6s51ds$nmo$2_at_imsp009a.netvigator.com>...
: >Sybase ASA is much scalable than Microsoft Products at present moment.
: >It can run from Windows CE to Windows 9x to Windows NT to UNIX.
: >
: >Information Anywhere!! Mobile and Embedded Computing Server!!
: >
: >Scott Hodson (shodson_at_home.com) wrote:
: >: This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
: >:
: >: ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01BDD1A9.46E20E20
: >: Content-Type: text/plain;
: >: charset="iso-8859-1"
: >: Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
: >:
: >: I am consulting with a client and we've been using MS SQL Server on his =
: >: project. I am very comfortable with MS SQL Server and Sybase System XI =
: >: but he comes from a MS Access background and finds SQL Server very =
: >: confusing and frustrating (transaction logs, segments, etc.) having =
: >: become accustomed to Access's ease of use and very GUI-based DB =
: >: management tools. We moved to SQL server because his data volume and =
: >: activity will increase 10-fold in the next year and it is more scaleable
 =
: >: and reliable than Access.
: >:
: >: He head about Sybase ASA and how easy to use it was from some friends =
: >: but I want to know where does it fall short compared to say System XI or
 =
: >: MS SQL Server. It sounds like a MS Access on steroids but I'm not sure.
 =
: >: Is the DB stable, does it corrupt? Is it fast? Scalable?=20
: >:
: >: I was wondering how ASA compares with Access and MS SQL Server. I have =
: >: a feeling it's somewhere in between the two. It seems easier to use =
: >: than SQL Server but I'm not sure how scalable it is.
: >:
: >: ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01BDD1A9.46E20E20
: >: Content-Type: text/html;
: >: charset="iso-8859-1"
: >: Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
: >:
: >: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
: >: <HTML>
: >: <HEAD>
: >:
: >: <META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1 =
: >: http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
: >: <META content=3D'"MSHTML 4.72.3110.7"' name=3DGENERATOR>
: >: </HEAD>
: >: <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
: >: <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I am consulting with a client and =
: >: we've been=20
: >: using MS SQL Server on his project.&nbsp; I am very comfortable with MS =
: >: SQL=20
: >: Server and Sybase System XI but he comes from a MS Access background and
 =
: >: finds=20
: >: SQL Server very confusing and frustrating (transaction logs, segments, =
: >: etc.)=20
: >: having become accustomed to Access's ease of use and very GUI-based DB=20
: >: management tools.&nbsp; We moved to SQL server because his data volume =
: >: and=20
: >: activity will increase 10-fold in the next year and it is more scaleable
 =
: >: and=20
: >: reliable than Access.</FONT></DIV>
: >: <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
: >: <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>He head about Sybase ASA and how =
: >: easy to use it=20
: >: was from some friends but I want to know where does it fall short =
: >: compared to=20
: >: say System XI or MS SQL Server.&nbsp; It sounds like a MS Access on =
: >: steroids but=20
: >: I'm not sure.&nbsp; Is the DB stable, does it corrupt?&nbsp; Is it =
: >: fast?&nbsp;=20
: >: Scalable? </FONT></DIV>
: >: <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000=20
: >: size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
: >: <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I was wondering how ASA compares =
: >: with Access and=20
: >: MS SQL Server.&nbsp; I have a feeling it's somewhere in between the =
: >: two.&nbsp;=20
: >: It seems easier to use than SQL Server but I'm not sure how scalable
 it=20
: >: is.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
: >:
: >: ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01BDD1A9.46E20E20--