Re: Sybase ASA vs MS Access vs MS SQL Server

From: Hatheway, Darwin L <dlhatheway_at_mmm.com>
Date: 1998/08/31

Does it support (take advantage of) SMP?

I installed SQL Anywhere and tinkered with it a while back and liked it reasonably well.

It does seem to be about as easy as MS SQL Server to set up (more difficult to do the install but no DB "device" mgmt evens the score). I thought it was a little more difficult to configure the clients. It was very trouble-free. I was using V5.5. V6, if it offers stored procedures and simplifies client configuration, would be very attractive to me.

Before I bought in, though, I'd like to know if it would take advantage of a quad-SMP system (easiest way to "scale" in the NT world) and how big a DB it would support. I did check their web site but saw no mention of SMP support, so you might want to ask one of their sales reps or consultants.

HTH PS: The feature I liked best was the ability to read a .SQL file into the command processor and do parameterized substitution into the SQL in the file. That's a feature I'd really like to see in MS' toolset (sure, Stored Procedures are great but SP's require more DBA time and attention to manage).

 =
>>: Is the DB stable, does it corrupt? Is it fast? Scalable?=20
>>:
>>: I was wondering how ASA compares with Access and MS SQL Server. I have
 =
>>: a feeling it's somewhere in between the two. It seems easier to use =
>>: than SQL Server but I'm not sure how scalable it is.
>>:
>>: ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01BDD1A9.46E20E20
>>:
>>: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
>>: <HTML>
>>: <HEAD>
>>:
>>: <META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1 =
>>: http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
>>: <META content=3D'"MSHTML 4.72.3110.7"' name=3DGENERATOR>
>>: </HEAD>
>>: <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
>>: <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I am consulting with a client and =
>>: we've been=20
>>: using MS SQL Server on his project.&nbsp; I am very comfortable with MS
 =
>>: SQL=20
>>: Server and Sybase System XI but he comes from a MS Access background and
 =
>>: finds=20
>>: SQL Server very confusing and frustrating (transaction logs, segments, =
>>: etc.)=20
>>: having become accustomed to Access's ease of use and very GUI-based
 DB=20
>>: management tools.&nbsp; We moved to SQL server because his data volume =
>>: and=20
>>: activity will increase 10-fold in the next year and it is more scaleable
 =
>>: and=20
>>: reliable than Access.</FONT></DIV>
>>: <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
>>: <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>He head about Sybase ASA and how =
>>: easy to use it=20
>>: was from some friends but I want to know where does it fall short =
>>: compared to=20
>>: say System XI or MS SQL Server.&nbsp; It sounds like a MS Access on =
>>: steroids but=20
>>: I'm not sure.&nbsp; Is the DB stable, does it corrupt?&nbsp; Is it =
>>: fast?&nbsp;=20
>>: Scalable? </FONT></DIV>
>>: <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000=20
>>: size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
>>: <DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I was wondering how ASA compares =
>>: with Access and=20
>>: MS SQL Server.&nbsp; I have a feeling it's somewhere in between the =
>>: two.&nbsp;=20
>>: It seems easier to use than SQL Server but I'm not sure how scalable
 it=20
>>: is.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
>>:
>>: ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01BDD1A9.46E20E20--
>>:

Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not represent those of my employer. Received on Mon Aug 31 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT