Re: Oracle too Expensive ??? Help !!

From: Mark Weghorst <weghorst_at_nilenet.com>
Date: 28 Aug 1998 18:01:56 GMT

Michael A Dustin (cybrghst_at_mail.tir.com) wrote:
: Hello,

: Our company recently checked on the price of Oracle (for
: Solaris 2.6) and all the trimmings. For a 15 user (office) license and a
: web license it came to over 100 grand. After we balked
: Oracle came back and offered the bare bones for about
: 20 grand.

It sounds like the Oracle rep is trying to soak you into buying him a new boat. Don't go along with it, Workgroup server is only $295 per user not including support which is something like 17% of list per year. And with recent advancements in Sun's workgroup servers there is no reason to buy Enterprise unless you need replication. I've seen an E450 with 4 300Mhz CPU's, 2GB of RAM, and a FCAL disk array run every bit as fast as it's enterprise equivalent.

I asked a former employer's Business Alliance rep (Oracle's developer program) about the difference, and he indicated that the only diff was replication and the inclusion of EBU on CD which you can dl for free. I also asked about differences in performance, and was told that the only diff was that workgroup isn't available on the biggest servers.

For 15 users, workgroup is more than adequate. You also mentioned that this was with all the trimmings, what trimmings? I'm sure people here would be glad to offer their opinion on whether they are necessary.

-Mark Weghorst Received on Fri Aug 28 1998 - 13:01:56 CDT