Multiple Indexes

From: <cyberkid_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:06:10 GMT

I have read that multiple indexes on one table cannot be used in combination on most RDBMS products. If there are multiple indexes, then the optimizer uses the best one, does a disk I/O to retrieve those records, and then goes through a full scan of those returned to match the remaining WHERE criteria. I've read elsewhere that the matched index pointers are compared, and THEN the records are retrieved. Which is correct? I'm looking at a 90 million record DB which will only be updated once every 3 months, and query performance is my key issue. Are there any good resources out there to find out exactly what methodology is used by Oracle, or other RDBMS's? Also, I've seen a product by DISC (Dynamic Information Systems Corp.) called Omnidex which uses "Inverted List Indexes" and "Dynamic Aggregation Indexes". Are these really better than typical B tree indexes? Surely there must be a trade off if they do perform better.