Re: Oracle vs Sybase

From: Maarten van Tilburg <mtilburg_at_wxs.nl>
Date: 1998/08/20

Anthony Mandic wrote:

> Barry L. Wallis wrote:
> >
> > Actually, your statement is not true. Oracle has at least 4
 different databases:

> > 1) Oracle RDBMS: The flagship Oracle relational database product
 that runs on more
> > machines than you would care to number.
>
> I think you really meant to say it "runs on less machines than
> anyone over
> the age of 6 would care to count up to".

I think (IMHO) that you should review what you are writing. This sentence is completely meaningless to me.

> > 2) Oracle Rdb: Database engine purchased from Digital Equipment
 Corporation. This
> > one only runs on Windows NT, OpenVMS and Digital UNIX. It is
 generally more
> > robust in a production systems environment (at least compared
 Oracle7) and IMHO
> > can be tuned to run better than the Oracle RDBMS (on those
 platforms where it
> > runs).
>
> So what you're claiming is that DEC's Rdb is better than
> Oracle's RDBMS?

Yes, he does, and he will certainly not be alone in this opinion. In terms of performance, manageability and robustness it is more than "just an opinion", but perhaps you care to explain why you think otherwise

> > 3) Oracle Express: Server for Data Warehouses.
> >
> > 4) Oracle DBMS: CODASYL DBMS purchased from Digital Equipment
> Corporation.
>
> Another DEC purchase. Look like Larry Ellison must really like
> DEC
> products. I wonder if there's a message in that for all of us.

Indeed, if you had known (obviously not, although it happened some years ago) that Oracle bought the whole bunch of database related products, including RALLY and CDD. The message is/was: it is a part of the complete sell-out of DEC (Digital Enhanced Compaq) :(((

> > My suggestion is that people use the right tool for the right job
 and be careful
> > when comparing apples and orangutans.
>
> And what is the right tool for the right job?

is that a question ?--

| Maarten van Tilburg                                                |
| OpenVMS & Windows NT System Administrator                          |
| Gemeentevervoerbedrijf Amsterdam                    tilburg_at_gvb.nl |
| spec: BRS Clusters, High Availability                              |
| Orchestra & Choir Conductor                                        |
| Pivate: mtilburg_at_wxs.nl       distribution: vanTilburg_at_bigfoot.com |
| Homepage : http://home.wxs.nl/~mtilburg/index.html                 |