Re: Oracle vs Sybase

From: Nowhere Man <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: 1998/08/25

Well,

Without getting into a flame mode ...

Anthony Mandic wrote in message
<35DBDB43.19ED4C35_at_agd.nsw.gov.au_hormel.free>...
>Barry L. Wallis wrote:
>>
>> Actually, your statement is not true. Oracle has at least 4 different
 databases:

>> 1) Oracle RDBMS: The flagship Oracle relational database product that
 runs on more
>> machines than you would care to number.
>
> I think you really meant to say it "runs on less machines than anyone over
> the age of 6 would care to count up to".
>
>> 2) Oracle Rdb: Database engine purchased from Digital Equipment
 Corporation. This
>> one only runs on Windows NT, OpenVMS and Digital UNIX. It is generally
 more
>> robust in a production systems environment (at least compared Oracle7)
 and IMHO
>> can be tuned to run better than the Oracle RDBMS (on those platforms
 where it
>> runs).
>
> So what you're claiming is that DEC's Rdb is better than Oracle's RDBMS?

It´s not only better - it´s a GREAT DEAL better. However, the areas where it shines are areas the average punter neither understands or is capable of understanding. Should we discuss Isolation Levels, meta data versioning, performance tuning, backup throughput, optimizer sophistication... and the list goes on and on. The claim that OracleRdb is better than ORACLE is shared by a GREAT NUMBER of people. OracleRdb is the database of the discerning professional, where the maximum facility and quality is required.

>> 3) Oracle Express: Server for Data Warehouses.
>>
>> 4) Oracle DBMS: CODASYL DBMS purchased from Digital Equipment
 Corporation.

> Another DEC purchase. Look like Larry Ellison must really like DEC
> products. I wonder if there's a message in that for all of us.

You may not know that some leading manufacturing packages run on DEC DBMS. In fact, ask Intel what they use to run there facilities.

>> My suggestion is that people use the right tool for the right job and be
 careful
>> when comparing apples and orangutans.
>
> And what is the right tool for the right job?
>
>-am

cheers
pjl Received on Tue Aug 25 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT