Re: Contractor costs?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 22:07:07 GMT

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 18:39:30 GMT, Marc Respass <no_spam_at_all.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have an interesting situation. My company is very close to deciding
>to go with Oracle 8 as our RDBMS. We are currently using a database
>that I wrote in Borland Paradox 7. I will be the one doing the
>database design and adminsitration for the Oracle 8 database.
>
>Here's the interesting bit :). I need some training, big time. I'm
>thinking that I might be able to get a contractor in here for three to
>five weeks. The idea is that the contractor would setup the database
>and I would assist and learn. He would teach me how to setup and
>administer the system and some tips and tricks and help out with
>connecting to the database from some client app. I'm thinking that I
>could learn a lot more, a lot faster by working with someone on a real
>project.
>
>My questions are: is my idea for a contractor feasable, are
>contractors willing to do that kind of work, how much would it cost?

Yes, yes, $60-$120/hr. They may be kind of scarce for any particular block of time, though. The possibility exists of getting someone bogus, too. You might want to get some CBT or class training in beforehand, if you can understand what the person is saying without making him repeat it several times you will get more out of it.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest or Pebble In The Sky http://www.informationquest.com mailto:jgarry@nospameiq.com http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry Remove nospam to reply. mailto:joel_garry_at_compuserve.nospam.com "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Wed Aug 19 1998 - 17:07:07 CDT