Re: Ora-1555 error

From: John Wilson <jwilson_at_napanet.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:40:34 -0700

Hi Boodah,

ORA-1555 occurs when a job is holding rows in a rollback segment for read
consistency. When the job finishes, the space is available to other user
jobs. I a query is depending on this for read consistency, then the error
occurs....

The first step is to increase the number of rollback segments (usually double). Be sure to add these to your instance's init.ora file or they won't be brought online when the database is restarted. The interesting

thing is that this usually won't cure the cause of the problem.

The problem is often in the scheduling of the two jobs involved that cause
the error in the first place. Almost always, the error is in the query (duh) so rerunning it later is an option.

And a side note....when setting up Rollback Segments, use multiples of the
Oracle block size for your system (usually 8192--8K), Thus a simple declaration of INITIAL 32K NEXT 32K OPTIMAL 64K can work better that numbers that aren't multiples of the block size.

John