Re: Rollback Segments

From: <Me_at_this.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 18:53:25 GMT

Jerry and Carlos,

        Assigning the large rollback segment to Carlos' long running transaction will not help. He needs to add more rollback segments. The ora-1555 tells you that during your long running transaction, somebody modified a block and committed a change to the block during the time your transaction has been running. Then, another transaction overlaid the old version of the block in the rollback segment. Your transaction tries to get its read consistent view and it's not there anymore.

        Since RBS's are used in round robin fashion, by adding more RBS's, it will take longer for your system to roll around to re-using an RBS, overlaying the version of the block you want. If you can't add more rollback segments, the only other alternative is running the app at truly off-peak time, like when NOBODY else is on the system. ORA-1555's are a result of Oracle's implementation of read-consistency and except for solution 2 (NOBODY), there is no guarantee you will not see an ora-1555.

HTH, Frank