Re: unique password for UNIX login AND oracle

From: <oliver.willandsen_at_sg.cec.be>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 08:28:29 GMT

In article <35D32AB2.3795A930_at_pzi.net>,   Peter Ziobrzynski <pzi_at_pzi.net> wrote:
> oliver.willandsen_at_sg.cec.be wrote:
> >
> > In article <01bdc520$ece507e0$a07015a5_at_pc160>,
> > "simbl" <simblit_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Gabriele,
> > >
> > > You can identify the user's password in Oracle as external.

> > > This identifies your Oracle login using the UNIX password, but this is
> > > controlled at the UNIX level and not inside the database. This might pose
> > > as a security issue, if that is a concern. Hope this helps.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Cynthia
> > >
> > Hi,
> >
> > for this to work properly the username should have been created
> > in the following way ( without taking account of tablespaces and quotas )
> >
> > Create user OPS$Gabriele identified externally;
> >
> > OPS$ is the prefix referenced by the OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX parameter, it might
> > be something different on your system.
> >

> Do you know in which Oracle version UNIX authentication was implemented first.
> I have 7.2.3 and create users as above and sqlplus still prompts for password
> and fails:
>
> SQL> create user ops$pzi identified externally;
> SQL> grant create session to ops$pzi;
> SQL> select name,value from v$parameter where name =
'os_authent_prefix';
> ops$
> SQL> quit
> % sqlplus
> Enter user-name: pzi
> Enter password:
> ERROR: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
> Enter user-name: ops$pzi
> Enter password:
> ERROR: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
>
> --
> Peter Ziobrzynski, http://www.pzi.net <pzi@pzi.net>
> work: +1 650 336-7454, work fax: +1 650 336-0635 home: +1 925 552-7128

IF my memory serves me correctly it was already there in Oracle 5 -

but the previous post already indicated where your problem might lie.

Regards
--
Oliver Willandsen - European Commission http://europa.eu.int
All remarks are my own and do not necessarily coincide with official European Commission policy