Re: online backup

From: <poohland_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 23:41:52 GMT

Direct quote from Oracle Backup And Recovery Handbook 7.3 Edition from Oracle Press: "Note that when a tablespace is in hot backup mode, only some data structures in the data file header (or headers, if multiple dat a files exist for that tablespace) are updated, while the others are frozen. However, the contents of the file are current. For example, if an update is done on a table in this data file, the update is not blocked. But when a checkpoint is done, the checkpointed at SCN value is not written to the file header. This means that if a crash occurs during a hot backup, Oracle really needs to update only the file header and not the contents of the data file while opening the database.."

I guess the only thing that got frozen is the file header, but not the data.

Winnie Liu