Re: The Oracle Inconsistencies List -- please add to it!

From: David Schweisguth <davids_at_tracy.pangeasystems.com>
Date: 13 Aug 1998 15:16:15 GMT

Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) wrote:
: [...] Oracle does not require some reserved words with quotes and others
: without -- no reserved word is allowed as a name without quotes but keywords
: are allowed as names without quoting them. PCTINCREASE is a KEYWORD -- CREATE
: is a RESERVED WORD.

I find it odd that "table" and "view" are reserved words but "sequence" is not. (Being biologists, we are happy to be able to have a table called "sequence".) This is to say that it seems that one can't predict whether a special word is a keyword or a reserved word by comparing its usage to that of other keywords or reserved words, which is unfortunate. (I imagine that this is a feature of SQL, not of Oracle as such.)

--

Dave Schweisguth                              Work: davids_at_pangeasystems.com
Pangea Systems                                Home: dschweisguth_at_earthlink.net