Re: Delete without Rollback ?

From: EXE <exe_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 20:59:48 -0700

> You can't do that. This work style is the base to Oracle Engine.
> You have only one exception, the "truncate" statement. With this command
> you can
> delete all rows from a table, but you can't choose them.

I agree with this advice but would like to post a thought here that perhaps will be picked up by someone at Oracle. That thought is that there should be a way to intentionally turn off the use of rollback segments.

While this is wholly inappropriate in an OLTP environment when working with a very large data-warehouse or data-mart where the object is to update a huge number of row on an all or nothing basis it is just a complete waste of resources to be building up a rollback segment with information that will never be rolled back. If the process fails the standard course of action is to just reload from scratch and try again.

Regards,

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sun Aug 09 1998 - 22:59:48 CDT