Re: Database Sizing

From: EXE <exe_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 20:54:16 -0700

> I would like to know how to estimate database sizing?
> What are the criteria that I need to consider?

The first thing you need to consider, not to be rude, is what others have said: Training. This is not a job for someone that has to ask the question. But basically what you need to do is know is the number of bytes required to hold your data, indices, sequences, views, triggers, stored procedures, functions, packages, rollback segments, temp space, system files, tools, and have room for expansion over some reasonable period of time. Your choice is to either peform the DBA role properly by creating an entity-relationship diagram and performing the necessary calculations or you an just buy a 2 gig hard drive, create a 100MB tablespace for system, a 500MB tablespace for temp, a 500MB tablespace for rollback segments, and a 500MB tablespace for your data. You will either have wasted a lot of DASD or you will find out very soon that you need a professional DBA. <G>

Regards,

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sun Aug 09 1998 - 22:54:16 CDT