Re: Exchange Partitions

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 21:32:02 GMT

In theory (viz in the manuals) the data set remains read-consistent for all current queries.
i.e. a query that started before the exchange partition would see the data in the previous
incarnation of the partition.

In practice I have had a couple of catastrophic bugs appear such as:

	queries aborting
	queries stopping instantly and returning the wrong results

BTW - when you exchange a partition, the entire table definition is invalidated,
so all relevant dictionary cache entries (partition, indexes, index partitions,
constraints etc.) are flushed and reloaded - this can be quite expensive if you
have a large number of partitions.

Jeff Anderson <janderson_at_iname.com> wrote in article <6qfcl2$m1o$1_at_ash.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...