Re: Oracle 8 performance monitoring tools

From: Eric Junkermann <eric_at_deptj.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 21:21:31 GMT

On Fri, 07 Aug 1998 20:15:10 GMT, oracle_flyer_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have to recommend Precise/SQL.
>
>This tool's architecture is superior
>to other tuning tools because
>it does not query Oracle's V$ tables.
>
>It is able to sample what is happening in the SGA directly
>by reading the memory structures. There is practically no overhead.

<snip>

I don't know that I'd trust something which claims to understand everything about the structure of the SGA!

The V$ tables exist to be a publically documented and reasonably stable representation of the information.

In any case whoever wrote any tuning tool made assumptions about what was important and how to present it, so different tools are better in different situations. I don't think you can choose without knowing your own situation or without knowing enough about Oracle to make an intelligent choice. This means that you should know enough to write your own tools, but are buying something because you don't have time to write them.

Eric Received on Sun Aug 09 1998 - 16:21:31 CDT