Re: HELP: ORA-12500 error, SQL*Net V2

From: <tgp_at_mci2000.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 11:30:14 GMT

> Well, get back to me if I'm wrong but I do think it's rather obvious
> especially since (>It's not solid, by the way. > Sometimes you get it and
> sometimes you don't.)
>
> I think it's quite simply the number UNIX processes AIX can spawn. If that
> value is set to anything lower than the 250 you allow for Oracle users, each
> time a new user tries to connect Oracle tries to fork off a process and
> can't.
>
> Use SMIT to change the value online - no need to reboot

Well, you sure make it sound obvious, but ...

  1. This problem is occurring on our test machine, which has far fewer users and processes than our production machine, which is configured just like it. A "ps" command shows about 70 processes on the machine that exhibits the problem, and about 200 on the machine that's healthy.
  2. Also, I am not aware of an AIX parameter that sets the global max process count. There is certainly a per-user maximum, but I have never found a global one. If you know how to actually get one's hands on this thing, I'd like to know about it.
  3. The dedicated server process IS being forked. It is just getting a "signal 11" and dying. The listener.log shows the listener is seeing an EPIPE error, too. I interpret to mean that the listener is forking a dedicated process, (not getting an error on the fork), setting up a pipe to the process, and then later being notified by AIX that the other end of the pipe is dead.