Re: optimal configuration for SGA and unix kernel

From: Allan Nelson <nels212_at_austin360.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 17:53:18 -0500

Julio wrote:

> skgopa_at_my-dejanews.com escribió:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > My configuration for Oracle8 running on Enterprise server. OS is solaris
> > 2.6 with 2 GB of memory .
>
> > SGA is
> >
> > Total System Global Area 321972440 bytes
> > Fixed Size 44924 bytes
> > Variable Size 111688028 bytes
> > Database Buffers 209715200 bytes
> > Redo Buffers 524288 bytes
> >
> > Parameters :
> >
> > db_block_size 8192 bytes
> > db_block_buffers 25600 bytes
> > processes 50
> > shared_pool_size 104857600 bytes
> > sort_area_size 65536 bytes
> >
> > My question is :
> >
> > What is the optimal configuration for the above parameters ? Number of users
> > are 16.
> >
> > Sunil
>
> Hi Sunil,
>
> I'd increase the log_buffer to log_buffer=2621440. Let the logwriter to
> have a rest if your database supports a big number of transactions.
>
> I'd increase too the sort_area_size to 262154, or even bigger. As bigger
> this parameter less sorts in disk will be performed. You have memory
> enough to allocate memory for user sorts.
>
> Hope this help.
> --
> Julio Negueruela
> DBA Servicio Informático
> Universidad de La Rioja - Spain
> Telf: 941-299179 Fax: 941- 299180
> mailto:julio.negueruela_at_si.unirioja.es

  You should also start running the UTLBSTAT and UTLESTAT scripts and start looking for contention in there as well. Without knowing your database in detail it is very hard to make specific recommendations. With the size of your configuration and the number of your users your exisiting configuration should be okay unless your users are doing DSS work.

Allan Received on Sat Aug 01 1998 - 17:53:18 CDT