Re: Oracle performances on NT

From: Kurt Troyer <katroyer_at_bcsew.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 14:15:13 -0500

I would bet your problem has a lot to do with how Oracle uses indexes. I had a simple query going against a 320,000 record table that took forever. When I passed the sql through the plan analyzer on TOAD, I discovered that Oracle was not using any of the indexes. It turns out that Oracle's optimizer can do wierd things with even simple queries. In my case it was a string manipulation function on the left side of the where clause (ie Where Upper(Name)='NAME') that caused the indexes to not be used. If you look in Tuning Oracle or any other tuning book or online help, you should find documentation about tuning sql statements and using plan analyzers. Also look at information about 'hints'. These can be used to direct the optimizer to use specific indexes or use throughput vs cost based optimization. This took my 30 second query response down to subsecond.

Hope that helps,

Kurt Troyer