Re: Strange Recovery Problem, need advice..

From: Nevin and Cynthia Hahn <lllacey_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 00:44:06 -0600

Hi Winnie,

The "alter tablespace" command requires that the database be open!! There are actually 3 methods I know about to recover with the loss of a datafile
without rollback segments.
1) startup mount;

     recover database; then apply logs as prompted

2) startup mount;

    alter database datafile "fname" offline;     alter database open;
    recover datafile "fname"; then apply logs as prompted.

finally, the one I think you may have had in mind: 3) startup mount;

    alter database datafile "fname" offline;     alter database open;
    alter tablespace "ts_name" offline;     recover tablespace "ts_name"; then apply logs as prompted

I hope this helps!
Nevin Hahn
ICG Communications