Strange Recovery Problem, need advice..

From: Winnie Liu <poohland_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 19:20:15 -0700

Hi everyone.

I am running Oracle 7.3 on AIX 4.X using raw device. I am doing a disaster recovery today. The database is running under the archive log mode. I create a testing tablespace and add one datafile in that testing tablespace. And then I create a table in that testing tablespace and insert some data in it. I do a full cold backup and the the hot backup on that tablespace. My goal is very simple: to crash that particular datafile (in the testing tablespace) and then restore it from the hot backup and apply the archive log on to it.

I want to be able to open the rest of the database for the user to use while I am recovering that particular datafile, so I try to make that particular tablespace offline. But Oracle don't allow me to do it. The step is as follow:

  1. close the database
  2. crash that particular datafile in the testing tablespace
  3. open the database (oracle will discover that we need recovery on that datafile)
  4. shut down the database
  5. mount the database only
  6. then bring the testing tablespace offline by typing: Alter tablespace <tablespace name> offline immediate;

at this point, oracle gives me error saying that they cannot bring the tablespace offline because Oracle is not up. I check all the documentation, they all recommend to bring the tablespace offline like this. I try to bring it offline saying offline normal, offline immediate or offline temporary. They just don't allow me to do this.

Finally, I find out from my friend another method to bring the datafile offline so that I can open the database for the user by typing:

                Alter database datafile <datafile name> offline;

It works. I bring that datafile offline and then open the rest of the database for recovery.
Then bring that datafile online again by typing:

                Alter database datafile <datafile name> online;

Can any one tell me why the alter tablespace <tablespace name> offline immediate is not working? I check the Oracle Backup and recovery class handout. They suggest to use the alter tablespace.. one. Can some one tell me what's going on?

Thank you very much in advance!

Winnie
poohland_at_hotmail.com Received on Wed Jul 29 1998 - 21:20:15 CDT