Re: Name Server questions

From: Scott Cote <scottcotexy_at_contractor.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 11:36:56 -0500

Thank you Richard for the clarification of the host name (alias) that will run the well known name servers (I was mistakenly called them "prefered" nameservers).

Listener.ora config contents (plagarized from Net8...getting started 6-16) for an instance of oracle with the sid SID and the global database name global_dbname.domain running on a listener called listener:

    SID_LIST_LISTENER_NAME=

        (SID_LIST =
            (SID_DESC =
                (SID_NAME = SID)
                (GLOBAL_DBNAME = global_dbname.domain)
            )
        )

    USE_PLUG_AND_PLAY_listener = ON

Sample host information for a NIS master/DNS or plain-jane tcpip client config file... /etc/hosts

    666.123.123.002 a_usual_host_name oranamesrvr0     ...
    666.123.123.006 another_host_name oranamesrvr4

Where a_usual_host_name is the name of the machine that you are going to run the well known name server (wkns) and oranamesrvr0 is an alias that you give to that machine. Same goes for the other listing.

I said that the clients do not need software to connecct ... I misspoke (sorry). What I meant was that the clients don't need any config files (if you are using the oracle sqlnet... stuff). The client software will automatically find the well known name servers, but if you install a sqlnet.ora file, then the file must include the following line...

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH = (ONAMES,TNSNAMES) NOTE: If you are running the Oracle Enterprise Manager agent on a client system, it seems to want to have a tnsnames.ora file (won't properly use the nameservers). So only include the local databases in the tnsnames.ora file (and reverse the order in the path listed above).

Good luck,

SCott