Re: Oracle 7 Data File Storage - Newbie Question

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 14:56:08 GMT

Hi Bernadette -
For a more complete ( and probably more technically correct ) explanation of Oracle's 'mechanics' try the Server Concepts manual or any good book on RDBMS storage structures....

The database is a collection of objects ( tables,views,indexexs,procedures,packages, etc ) that are accessed to retrieve 'stuff' stored in the tables....

The actual contents are stored in one or more tablespaces compised of one or ,more typically, many data files ( these are actual, operating system files just like other files stored on a filke server ) ....

When a user requests a particular record or group of records an image of the data is copied into a buffer awaiting some request - ( i.e. update, delete, select ) - each user ( should several request the same record at the same time ) will get an image of the data as it was stored at the time of the request --- at this point no user is accessing the actual, stored data ( the data on disk ) -

The Oracle RDBMS engine handles the access,change,and storage by processes that run in the background of each instance and these serve to protect the integrity of the data - Read about this is the manuals - particularly about the guaranteed 'read-consistancy' of the data

There is no way to fully explain the workings of a large, sophisticated RDBMS like Oracle in a posting, so read as much as you can find about its structures, methods and features......All of the above is greatly simplified and more 'metaphor' than actual, technical info, but it should give you an idea about what's goin' on.....

As to question 3 - there is no 'snapshot' of the database sent to the PC - Oracle is true client/server - the PC acts a requestor for the database processes to reply to....

Hope it isn't to confusing - I probably shouldn't try this on a Friday....

John Greco
Oracle DBA
Email to john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us