Name Server questions

From: heidi <heidi_at_gestalt.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 15:08:13 -0600

According to the documentation if you use the name server you don't need to have tnsnames.ora. If this is true I have the following questions:

What I am trying to do is to hide the creation of a database in our application and allow the user to access it right away. I have found no programatic approach to this in the documentation or through the news groups. It all seems to point to a series of script files, utilities, and commands. My current method involes altering the tnsnames.ora, which may be a nightmare, especially on a network. This is all quite messy, but I have sorted it out and currently I can create a new database, but cannot use it until the ORCL service is restarted or the whole system is rebooted (not quite sure why?). As I was sifting through some documentation I came across the name server approach which may be easier to implement, but I can't seem to find the answers to my questions in the documentation.

Should anyone know of even a better way, or perhaps something that I may be out-to-lunch on I would appreciate any bit of advice I can get!

thank you,
heidi Received on Thu Jul 23 1998 - 16:08:13 CDT