Re: Remote database server problem!

From: Arjan van Bentem <avbentem_at_DONT-YOU-DARE-cable.a2000.nl>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 21:19:25 +0200

Hmmm, I have always relied on a function like that TestConnection, however using a remote function LocalSysdate to calculate the time difference. Note that in my function I do not actually call a remote procedure, but only use the remote dual table. Like I said: the sysdate you'll get is your local time, not the time of the remote server. Could be that the query is still in the cache, and therefore the function returns true while it should have returned false. Maybe you should create a real function on the remote database and change the TestConnection to really call a remote function. Or perfom a select count(*) from user_tables_at_my_dblink.

On the remote server:

    create or replace LocalSysdate return date     as
    begin
      return sysdate;
    end LocalSysdate;

In TestConnection change the select statement into

    select LocalSysdate_at_my_dblink
    into v_Dummy
    from dual;

Arjan.