Re: ebu backup and online redo log backup

From: William P. Mitchell <bill_mitchell_at_pleasantco.com>
Date: 23 Jul 1998 16:08:28 GMT

What the manual says is that online redo logs are not needed for backups when the database is in NOARCHIVELOG mode. But, your question really has more to do with recovery than with backups. In this case, you restore from backups and recover. The only thing that would save you here would be ARCHIVELOG mode. If you are running in ARCHIVELOG mode, you roll the database forward to a point in time immediately before your goof. If not in ARCHIVELOG mode, you simply start from the last backup and redo the day's (week's...) work.

Note that when the database is in ARCHIVELOG mode, EBU does back up the online redo logs.

bill

John Wang <rwang_at_erols.com> wrote in article <6oebac$lh8$1_at_winter.news.erols.com>...
> Hi, All:
>
> I am using Oracle 7.3.4 on HP/UX. In the EBU documentation, it says EBU
> does not backup online redo log files because redo log files does not
serve
> any recovery purpose. Here is the situation. I am doing backup/recovery
> under certain failure scenerios on a test database.
>
> the test database has 3 log groups, each has a log member,log1, log2,
log3.
> Log2 is the current one. I did 10 inserts and did not commit. Then I
did a
> log switch. So, log3 is the current log. At this point, I deleted the 3
> log files, log1.dbf, log2.dbf, and log3.dbf. I aborted the instance.
Then