ebu backup and online redo log backup

From: John Wang <rwang_at_erols.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:10:53 -0400

Hi, All:

I am using Oracle 7.3.4 on HP/UX. In the EBU documentation, it says EBU does not backup online redo log files because redo log files does not serve any recovery purpose. Here is the situation. I am doing backup/recovery under certain failure scenerios on a test database.

the test database has 3 log groups, each has a log member,log1, log2, log3. Log2 is the current one. I did 10 inserts and did not commit. Then I did a log switch. So, log3 is the current log. At this point, I deleted the 3 log files, log1.dbf, log2.dbf, and log3.dbf. I aborted the instance. Then I mounted the instance. Since, log1 and log2 are not current log files. I can drop and recreated the files. But for log3.dbf, I do not have a backup because EBU does not backup on line redo logs. I cannot drop the log file, because it is the current one. Do you see my problems here? Without log3.dbf, my instance is dead. Is this a bug in EBU or what? Anybody has any ideas? I am lost.

Thanks

John W. Received on Mon Jul 13 1998 - 20:10:53 CDT