Re: Workgroup Vs. Enterprise

From: Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de>
Date: 21 Jul 1998 11:17:59 GMT

Hi,

mail I got from support:

Feature Summary & Options for Windows NT

                                Oracle7    Oracle7    Personal
Personal
   Product Feature / Option     Server    Workgroup    Oracle     Oracle
                                           Server                  Lite
+-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

|CORE DB FUNCTIONALITY: | FULL FULL FULL
PARTIAL |
+-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

|Database Options: | OPTIONAL NO NO
NO |
| - FailSafe Option | OPTIONAL OPTIONAL NO
NO |
| - Parallel Server Option | OPTIONAL NO NO
NO |
| - Video/Media Server Option | OPTIONAL NO NO
NO |
| - ConText Option | OPTIONAL NO NO
NO |
NO | +-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|Distributed Functionality:
| |
| | INCLUDED INCLUDED INCLUDED
NO |
| - Distributed Queries
| |
| - Database Links
| |
| - Remote Single-Site Update
| |
+-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|Replication Functionality:
| |

| |
| - Read-Only Snapshots | INCLUDED INCLUDED INCLUDED from
v2.3 |
| - Distributed Update | INCLUDED INCLUDED INCLUDED
NO |
| (2-Phase Commit)
| |
+-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|Advanced Replication:
| |

| |
| - Updateable Snapshots | INCLUDED NO INCLUDED from
v2.3 |
| - (Multiple) Master | INCLUDED NO NO
NO |
| Site Updates
| |
+-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
NO | +-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|Web Functionality:
| |

| |
| - WebServer 1.0 | INCLUDED INCLUDED NO
NO |
NO | +-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
NO | +-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|Admin Tools:
| |

| |
| - Oracle Navigator | NO NO INCLUDED
INCLUDED |
| - Oracle Enterprise Manager | INCLUDED INCLUDED NO
NO |
| - OEM Performance Pack | OPTIONAL NO NO
NO |
| - Oracle Server Manager | INCLUDED INCLUDED INCLUDED
NO |
| (Character-mode)
| |
| - MS Access Migration Wizard| from 7.3.3 from 7.3.3 from 7.3.3
NO | +-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+ FULL = Full SQL and PL/SQL functionality NO = Not available with this product INCLUDED = Available with product at no extra cost OPTIONAL = Obtainable at extra cost TBA = To be announced --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Oracle WorldWide Customer
Support

Subject: Overview of Oracle8 Server Products on NT

  1. Oracle8 Naming Conventions

With the release of Oracle8, we have made a couple of changes to the way we
name and reference our products. The product family and their official names
are as follows:

The tagline for Oracle8 is "The Database for Network Computing(TM)".

There have also been other name changes. Here is a complete listing.

OLD                                     NEW
---------------------------------------
-----------------------------------

Personal Oracle7                        Personal Oracle8(TM)
Oracle7 Workgroup Server                Oracle8 Server
Oracle7 Server                          Oracle8 Server Enterprise
Edition
ConText Option                          ConText Cartridge
Video Option                            Video Cartridge
Spatial Data Option                     Spatial Cartridge
Replication Services to Data Propagator Replication Services
Office Gateways                         InterOffice Gateways
WebServer                               Web Application Server
Messaging Option                        InterOffice Messaging Cartridge
Document Option                         InterOffice Document Cartridge
Workflow Option                         Workflow Cartridge

2. Oracle8 Packaging

Packaging of features into the Oracle8 product family has changed substantially due to the large number of new features that have been added.

The following list summarizes the changes and also provides you with the principal new features in Oracle8 (marked with *).

                                          Oracle8         Oracle8 Server
Feature                                   Server          Enterprise
Edition
----------------------------------------  ---------------

Systems Management and Availability

  Enterprise Manager                        Y                 Y
  Enterprise Manager Performance Pack       N                 Y
  Fail Safe                                 Y                 Y    Note
  Client Failover                           N                 Y    Note
D,F
  Server Managed Backup and Recovery        Y                 Y    *
  RMAN Command Line Processor               Y                 Y    *
  Recovery catalog for online backup        Y                 Y    *
  Online recovery                           Y                 Y    *
  Incremental backup & recovery             N                 Y    *
  Parallel backup & recovery                N                 Y    *
  Point-in-time tablespace recovery         N                 Y    *
  Advanced Queuing                          N                 Y    Note
G *

Datawarehouse/Data Mart/Bulk Data Features

  Raised Size Ceilings                      Y                 Y    *
  . Database size raised

  . Maximum database files raised
  . Tablespace size raised
  Bit-mapped indexes                        N                 Y

  Star Queries                              Y                 Y
  Parallel Query                            N                 Y
  Parallel DML (ins/upd/del)                N                 Y    Note
   Parallel index scans                     N                 Y    Note
   Parallel Bitmap Star Joins               N                 Y    *
  Parallel Load                             N                 Y
  Parallel Index Build                      N                 Y
  Parallel Analyze                          N                 Y    Note
B *
Programming Interfaces                                             Note
  Oracle Call Interface                     Y                 Y
  Objects for OLE                           Y                 Y
  ODBC driver                               Y                 Y

Networking & Distributed Features
  Distributed queries                       Y                 Y
  Distributed transactions
  . 2-phase commit                          Y                 Y
  . XA                                      Y                 Y
  Net8                                      Y                 Y    *
  Oracle Names                              Y                 Y
  Oracle Connection Manager                 N                 Y    *
  Connection Pooling                        Y                 Y    *
  MultiProtocol Connectivity                N                 Y
  Oracle Security Server                    Y                 Y
  Basic Replication                         Y                 Y
  . Read-only snapshots
  . subquery subsetting                                            *
  . primary key based snapshots                                    *
  . internal triggers                                              *
  . LOB support                                                    *
  Advanced Replication                      N                 Y
  . Updatable snapshots
  . Multimaster replication
  . Conflict detection/resolution
  . Replication Manager
  . Parallel propagation                                           *
  . Minimized communication                                        *
  . Replication Manager enhancements                               *
  . Other management enhancements                                  *

Other Features
  Reverse key indexes                       Y                 Y    *
  Password management                       Y                 Y    *
  Index-organized tables                    Y                 Y    *
  More columns per table                    Y                 Y    *
  Larger column sizes                       Y                 Y    *
  PL/SQL stored procs, triggers             Y                 Y
  National Language Support                 Y                 Y
  LOB Support                               Y                 Y    *

Data Cartridges (extended data type support; available at extra cost)
  ConText Cartridge                         Y                 Y
  Video Cartridge                           Y                 Y
  Image Cartridge                           N                 Y    *
  Visual Information Retrieval              N                 Y    Note
E *
  Time Series Cartridge                     N                 Y    Note
F *
  Spatial Data Cartridge                    N                 Y

Options (Only available for Oracle8 Enterprise Edition, at extra cost)
  Objects Option                            N                 Y    *
  Partitioning Option                       N                 Y    *
  Advanced Networking Option                N                 Y
  Enterprise Manager Performance Pack       N                 Y
  Parallel Server Option                    N                 Y

The Oracle8 product family also have improved performance, scalability and
availability features over those in Oracle7.

Notes:

A. This feature is available on Windows NT
B. This feature requires the Partitioning Option.
C. Pro*C is available at extra cost with both servers as part of

   Oracle Programmer
D. This feature requires Oracle Parallel Server. E. This cartridge is sold by Oracle and will be available with Oracle8

   Release 8.0.4.

F. This product/feature will not be available till Oracle8 Release
8.0.4.
G. This feature requires the Objects Option to function.

5. Products now included in the Server

The following options have been made obsoleted with the rollout of Oracle8:

- 64-Bit Option
- Parallel query option
- Procedural option

3. Options and Cartridges

With the addition of new options and cartridges to the Oracle8 product family,
it is important to understand the capabilities these options and cartridges
provide so that you can maximise your sale. Here are details:

All customers with active support contracts for any OracleMetals support program (Bronze, Silver and Gold) may receive the free upgrade to Oracle8
Release 8.0 as follows:

Current Product                         Upgrade To
---------------                         ----------------
Oracle7 Workgroup Server                Oracle8 Server
Oracle7 Server                          Oracle8 Server Enterprise
Edition

The following restrictions apply: - Customers with Oracle7 Server may not downgrade their license to   Oracle8 Server.

Due to time constraints imposed on getting the release out, there has been
no product factoring on the contents of Oracle8 Server and Oracle8 Server
Enterprise Edition. As such, customers choosing Oracle8 Server will receive
the complete Oracle8 Server Enterprise Edition but we expect them to only
use
the capabilities for which they are licensed.

Complete product factoring will be available with Oracle8 Release 8.0.4.

6. Oracle8 Availability

Both Oracle8 Server and Oracle8 Enterprise Edition are available and shipping (check the appropriate product line organization for availability
by port), with the following exceptions:

                                          Oracle WorldWide Customer
Support

Falls Sie diesbezueglich noch Fragen haetten, koennen Sie mich direkt unter obiger Bearbeitungsnummer telefonisch (0180-2000-170) oder per Fax (089-14977-311) oder per E-Mail an oss_server_at_de.oracle.com (setzen Sie bitte die Bearbeitungsnummer ins Mailsubject und meinen Namen Kroll) kontaktieren.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Oracle Support Services
Holger Kroll

        Holger Kroll                            ORACLE Deutschland GmbH
        Systemberater                           Hanauer Str. 87
                                                80993 Muenchen
        Server Technologies
        Oracle Support Services

--