Re: Instance Manager: SYS Login

From: St Erroneous <Xishamael_at_goliath.mersinet.co.ukX>
Date: 18 Jul 1998 21:37:42 +0100

<bmennell_at_my-dejanews.com> seems to have written:
>Problem in logging in as SYS with SYSDBA or SYSOPER role in the Oracle
>Instance Manager.
>
>I tried to connect to the Oracle Instance Manager using the SYS account as
>SYSDBA or SYSOPER but Oracle doesn't accept it. I got an error message
>ORA-1031 : insufficient privileges. I have tested the system privileges of
>the SYS account in the Oracle Security Manager and I found that the SYS
>account has the SYSOPER and SYSDBA privileges. Furthermore, there is no
>problem to connect with SYS as NORMAL. I haven't changed the default password
>of the SYS account.
>
>Has anybody got any solution to the problem?

I believe this is because connecting using the SYSDBA/SYSOPER privileges uses the database's external password file to validate the logon. This password is set using the "orapwd" program, and doesn't need to bear any resemblance to the "in-database" password of the username you're connecting as.

The password file is defined outside the database, because you use the sysdba/sysoper privileges to stop, start and create the system. The INTERNAL account is being "obsoleted", iirc.

Check out the "Password file administration" section in Chapter 1 of the (Oracle7 - I presume a similar section for Oracle8 exists) Server Administrator's Guide for the gorey details.

-michael
--
St michael (mainly) Erroneous http://goliath.mersinet.co.uk/~ishamael/  "This message was brought to you by the united might of three Linux boxen   with a total of 384Mb RAM and 33Gb disc space. Expecting the message to   make sense in these circumstances was probably a little optimistic." Received on Sat Jul 18 1998 - 15:37:42 CDT