Re: Migrating users and their passwords...

From: David Schweisguth <davids_at_tracy.pangeasystems.com>
Date: 14 Jul 1998 16:24:31 GMT

Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) wrote:
: A copy of this was sent to Dave Best <davidbe_at_nortel.ca>
: >Hey all.. quick question. I am told that it is possible to
: >move users between databases and still keep their password. For
: >example, user on system A has password XXX, encrypted equals YYY.
: >Can I do something like this on system B?:
: >
: > create user "JOHN" identified by YYY;
:
: alter user scott identified by values 'F894844C34402B67'

Something I just noticed: The encryption involves USERNAME. Copying user A's encrypted password to user B does not allow one to log into B using A's password. However, saving B's encrypted password, dropping B and recreating B with the encrypted value does allow B to log in with his old password, so the encryption doesn't require information other than USERNAME. (This isn't a problem, but it wasn't what I expected.)

--

Dave Schweisguth                              Work: davids_at_pangeasystems.com
Pangea Systems                                Home: dschweisguth_at_earthlink.net