Re: Migrating users and their passwords...

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 01:10:47 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Dave Best <davidbe_at_nortel.ca> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:38:21 -0400, you wrote:

>Hey all.. quick question. I am told that it is possible to
>move users between databases and still keep their password. For
>example, user on system A has password XXX, encrypted equals YYY.
>Can I do something like this on system B?:
>
> create user "JOHN" identified by YYY;
>
>or after the user is created do a
>
> alter user "JOHN" identified by YYY;
>
>This way, the user can login to machine B and still have the same
>password. For some reason I can't get this to work, even tho I am
>told it is possible. (FYI: The encrypted passwords on the separate
>systems
>are identical.)
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

alter user scott identified by values 'F894844C34402B67'

that'll set the scott password to TIGER on all systems....
>Dave

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Mon Jul 13 1998 - 20:10:47 CDT