Re: Oracle 7.2: Need advice on Export/Import compression

From: <mkhawaji_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 15:35:57 GMT

In 7.3 ,if you want to get rid off the unused space use the following command:

    alter tabel table_name deallocate unused keep xk;

This command will deallocate the unused space keeping x kbytes only. The export/import utility is working the way it suppoesed to work. But, if you deallocate the space before the exporting, then the compress=N will result in the same number of extents in importing. On the other hand, compress=Y will result in compressing all of the data in one initial extent (65m in your case).

Mamdouh Khawaji
Certified DBA,