Oracle 7.2: Need advice on Export/Import compression

From: <paul.vincent_at_uce.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 07:47:30 GMT

I have a table with an initial extent of 50Mb and 120 additional extents of 10Mb each. I know that a huge amount of the data has been deleted, so I need to compress it down (I estimate there's now about 65Mb of data there).

According to the Oracle Server Utilities manual, exporting with COMPRESS=N would cause the subsequent re-import to recreate the table with an initial extent equal in size to the sum of all the current extents (i.e. 50Mb + 120*10Mb = 1250Mb). But it says if I run with COMPRESS=Y, then the initial extent of the recreated table should be only as big as necessary (i.e. I'd guess about 65Mb).

However, when I run with COMPRESS=Y, then drop the table and re-import it, the table ends up with a 1250Mb initial extent, just as though I'd specified COMPRESS=N. Is this a known bug? Am I doing something wrong, or misinterpreting the manual? Any advice welcome!

Paul