Re: 100% CPU after thonderstorm ....

From: <vjoshi_at_pinnacle.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 14:56:53 GMT

Hi,
Its best to go and login on the server itself (not remotely) and use sqldba lmode=y or svrmgrl to connect internal;

Do a select sid, serial#, username, machine, terminal from v$session to get a list of all the users still logged in and take appropriate measures to disconnect them from the database.

Through the power surge, the clients lost power on their machines. As far as the server was concerned there was still users connected to your oracle database. Therefore when all the users logged in again, you would see a dramatic increase on the CPU/DISK etc. resources. Its best to disconnect those users (or even better if you can bring the oracle database down and then bring it backup).

It is not nice to do a kill -9 on the oracle processes.

Hope this was usefull.
vinay joshi
vjoshi_at_pinnacle.co.uk