Re: exp/imp Oracle 7.3

From: MotoX <at_at_at.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 08:54:13 +0100

Still, the point I made is valid: Never use compress=y unless you have checked the db, know it well, know you have a problem with it's design, and know that using compress will not cause further problems. The original poster should take this on board.

MotoX.

Joel Garry wrote in message ...
>On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 08:47:33 +0100, MotoX <at_at_at.com> wrote:
>>I take issue with the compress=y. I always set it to 'n', but then I
design
>>and implement my databases properly following the Oracle White Papers on
>>Space Management. Compressing the extents blows all that design and
>>implementation work out the window.
>
>I take issue with your issue. Many situations arise in the real world
>where either the volume of data cannot be known at the time of initial
>table creation, or the implementation was done improperly for any number
>of reasons, from silly to practical. I find compress=y useful in many
>of these situations, particularly coming into a screwy development
>environment, or even production environments that have lacked proper DBA's
>for a period of time. There is such a thing as "growth," too. Consider
>yourself lucky to be in an environment where you can assume you have the
>time and resources to do it all properly.
>
>Cool email address, though.
>

>>MotoX.
>>
>>MMK Productions wrote in message <6msct9$e6t_at_world6.bellatlantic.net>...
>>>You might want to use a parameter file to include the export/import
>>>parameters. This is an ASCII file with the parameters on each line.
>>>
>>>Here is an example for your question:
>>>
>>># filename: db1fulexp.par
>>>userid=system/manager
>>>log=db1fulexp.log
>>>file=/dir1/exports/db1fulexp.dmp
>>>full=y
>>>buffer=500000
>>>indexes=y
>>>rows=y
>>>grants=y
>>>compress=y
>>><the line above was the last line of the file>
>>>
>>>You can use a similar file for imports
>>># filename: db1fulimp.par
>>>userid=system/manager
>>>log=db1fulimp.log
>>>file=/dir1/exports/db1fulexp.dmp
>>>full=y
>>>commit=y
>>>buffer=500000
>>>ignore=y
>>><the line above was the last line of the file>
>>>

>--
>These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest or
>Pebble In The Sky http://www.informationquest.com
mailto:jgarry_at_nospameiq.com
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry Remove nospam to
reply.
>mailto:joel_garry_at_compuserve.nospam.com "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*&
DBA! Received on Mon Jun 29 1998 - 02:54:13 CDT