Re: exp/imp Oracle 7.3

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 23:21:09 GMT

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 08:47:33 +0100, MotoX <at_at_at.com> wrote:
>I take issue with the compress=y. I always set it to 'n', but then I design
>and implement my databases properly following the Oracle White Papers on
>Space Management. Compressing the extents blows all that design and
>implementation work out the window.

I take issue with your issue. Many situations arise in the real world where either the volume of data cannot be known at the time of initial table creation, or the implementation was done improperly for any number of reasons, from silly to practical. I find compress=y useful in many of these situations, particularly coming into a screwy development environment, or even production environments that have lacked proper DBA's for a period of time. There is such a thing as "growth," too. Consider yourself lucky to be in an environment where you can assume you have the time and resources to do it all properly.

Cool email address, though.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest or Pebble In The Sky http://www.informationquest.com mailto:jgarry@nospameiq.com http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry Remove nospam to reply. mailto:joel_garry_at_compuserve.nospam.com "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Thu Jun 25 1998 - 18:21:09 CDT