Performance hit after Upgrade from Oracle 7.1 to t.3

From: <ketanindia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 18:22:57 GMT

Hi, We recently upgraded from Oracle7.1.5 on VMS6.2 to Oracle7.3.2.3.2 on Vms 7.1 (Alpha OpenVMS) The sqlplus connections are very slow. This can be explained by the 2 task products. But the performance after the connection is very very poor. For example if I select from a table of 300000 rows it takes 10 minutes to give 4000 rows which in the earlier version used to give me all the rows in 30 minutes. I really can't figure out why this is happening. Can somebody out there give me any clues ? Will MTS help ? If yes then what are the things I need to to before setting that up ? Do I have to tweak init.ora parameters. I really did not change anything after upgrade. Will Fast I/O of VMS help ? I tried browsing this group but nobody seemed to have this problem. People have done upgrade and have been satisfied it seems.

My machine isa single processor alpha with 1.2G memory and 40G disk space out of which oracle has 8-10 G at its disposal.

Thanks in advance.

Ketan Shah
Mellon Bond Associates, Pittsburgh