Re: moving the system tablespace from one filesystem to another

From: Beverly Hom <bhom_at_sprintmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:32:28 -0700

Your database cannot be open if you want to move the datafiles associated to the system tablespace. Your database will be mounted, but closed.

First and most importantly, take a backup of your entire database.

Here is the procedure below:

Renaming or Moving datafiles of SYSTEM tablespace

To rename or relocate datafiles of the SYSTEM tablespace you must rename or relocate the files while the database is mounted but CLOSED.
  1. Shutdown Normal
  2. Startup Mount
  3. Copy the datafiles to be renamed to their new locations and new names, using the operating system.
  4. Make sure the new copies of the datafiles have different fully specified file names from the datafiles currently in use.
  5. Use the SQL command ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE '<old_full_path_file_name>' TO '<new_full_path_file_name>'; to rename the file pointers in the database's control file.

This works for both 7.3 and 8.0

Hope this helps.