Help: Connecting Developer/2000 v2 to Personal Oracle8

From: John Leggitt <johnml_at_istar.ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 05:28:02 GMT

We have two systems:

  1. A full-blown Oracle Server 8 (NT4) and developers working in Developer/2000 v.2 (Windows95) tools on a network. Everything works fine.
  2. A few isolated Windows95 boxes (no NIC card) with Personal Oracle8 and Developer/2000 v.2. We have not been able to get a consistent approach to connecting Form Builder 5 to Personal Oracle8. Calls to Oracle Support have not helped but they are continuing to work on this.

It appears that the only connection can be made by TCP\IP using 127.0.0.1 as the address for the listener; however, not all of our computers have TCP\IP and even when it is installed from Windows Network Control Panel, it still does not connect. As well, in one case, the user must connect to the internet through a modem before he can connect to the Personal Oracle8 database.

Editing the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora in a variety of ways (in both Net8\Admin and Network\Admin) does not help. lsnrctl80.exe returns a variety of protocol errors depending on the setting.

2 Questions:

  1. Can other protocols be used in this situation? None seem to work.
  2. Any suggestions on how I can establish a consistent approach to setup (other than buying NIC cards!)?

Thanks for your help.
JohnL Received on Thu Jun 25 1998 - 00:28:02 CDT