Re: LSNRCTL and Passwords

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 02:07:39 GMT

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998 20:44:20 -0400, "Enter Net News" <dhartman_at_enter.net> wrote:

>When I run LSNRCTL stop to stop the listeners for Oracle (Oracle Workgroups
>7.3.2.3.1 for NT) I get a message saying that the listener has not
>recognized the password. What is supposed to be the default password and
>how do you specify it on the command line. I can still stop the listener by
>going into the Control Panel Services applet, so it isn't that big of a deal
>but I would still like to know. TIA

Check out the LISTENER.ORA file in the directory <ORACLE_HOME>\NETWORK\ADMIN (e.g., on my machine, this is the directory C:\ORANT\NETWORK\ADMIN). Somewhere in this file, usually towards the bottom, is the password specification for the database listener. It probably looks something like:

        PASSWORDS_LISTENER = (oracle)

Thus, this is telling me that for the database listener named LISTENER, I need to specify the password "oracle" before I can shut down the listener. I would do this by entering "SET PASSWORD oracle". After that, I should be clear to stop it.

If you don't want a password setting, simply comment or remove this line.

>Dave

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Tue Jun 23 1998 - 21:07:39 CDT