Re: Constraint Confusion

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:31:12 GMT

Disabling fk constraints isn't enough. You need to drop and recreate the foregn key constraints. I ran into this same problem trying to reorganize a table recently. I though I could disable all the FKs referencing it, exp/imp the table, then reenable the constraints. I thought wrong!

Here's a procedure you could try. Export the DDL for the tables involved, drop the FK constraints, modify the column definitions, and recreate the FK constraints with an import.

exp userid=schema/password compress=n rows=n tables="(parent,child1,child2,...)"

sqlplus schema/password @modify.sql

imp userid=schema/password full=y

You may need to include the ignore=y option on the import. I haven't really tried this.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you. Received on Tue Jun 23 1998 - 13:31:12 CDT