Re: Migration of PROD database

From: Jim W <no_spam_mavp05_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 09:15:48 +0100

Chris,

You are correct there is a utility for exactly this. It's the well known import/export suite. The options are too vast to go into here so I suggest doing the following commands from your OS command prompt.

imp help=y

exp help=y

If you have a large Production db this will be very slow. And you should consider another method, the cold copy. I highly recommend this as it's quick and a relatively clean way of cloning a database. There are certain conditions though and the main one being that you are cloning on the same platform.

There's a good paper submitted to Oracle magazine web site called "Renaming your Database". It was some time ago but do a search and you should find it. Incidentally it's www.oramag.com.

Hope this has been informative !

Cheers
Jim. Received on Thu Jun 11 1998 - 03:15:48 CDT