Re: Create database wipes out existing db

From: Greg Parsons <parsons_at_inmet.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:41:52 GMT

Hi Frank,

    For doc - Look for a book named "Oracle7 Workgroup Server for Windows NT - Getting Started" should be contained within the package that came with 7.3. If you find it, chapter 4 has help in using Instance Manager. Otherwise, at a DOS prompt: "ORADIM73 -?". This will give you a list of the parms line mode allows and they are somewhat self-explanatory.

    I've also been testing 7.3 on NT 4, today.     Some of the tools (SVRMGRL being one) don't check for whether a file exists, it simply creates a new version of the file as you specified. The GUI tools seem to be more forgiving in general (probably written within the last 5 years or so). However, I am not completely trusting of them. They will tell you the server is up when it's down, etc with no refresh. The line modes seem to have been written earlier, and therefor check less for (what is now) obvious. Good or bad...
HTH
Greg