Re: Unixware 2.1/7.0 vs NT 4.0 for Oracle 7.3/8.0

From: Michel Kergoat <Michel.Kergoat_at_der.edfgdf.fr>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 10:47:21 +0200

Aaron
I have a skill with traditional Unix, like Solaris, HP-Ux and AIX. But no skill for Unixware, sorry. Also, I know a little about NT, but I maintain a knowledge for knowing its limits, thanks to the marketing informations which leads to a fog until you buy it "for knowing"… Anyway, here are my 2 cents.

Aaron Buhr wrote:

> What is the consensus for using NT vs. Unixware 2.1 or 7.0 for an
> Oracle 7.3/8.0 database server? Our database is not very large, so I am
> not as concerned about performance as I am about reliability. As a
> matter of fact, I wouldn't mind getting feedback about the the criteria
> I plan to use when evaluating the two:
>
> Stability
> Performance
> Maintainability:
> Easy & efficiency of administration
> Availability of third-party utility & driver software
> Availability of third-party support
> Need for regular patching

See MS reputation for all these : it has a truth underground.

> Flexibility - what other server applications can the platform
> support?

As far as I know, you can run several server application with a Unix box, and only one server application with a NT box. This was told to me both by Oracle teacher, and a person who did follow MS NT admin course. Some marketing-info-aware persons could tell you this is wrong, but in fact, while NT is able to support concurent services, the basic concept of a NT *process*--not *thread*-- leads to a permanent swapping when the services are used concurently. This is because each NT process eat all the available theoricaly possible memory, which is 3Gigs or so.Any comment ?

> Ease & efficiency of application development
> Security

NT is not as secure as Unix--not the same level of certification--, but I don't know about Unixware.

> Cost - both software & licensing as well as resource requirements
>
> And I intend to keep in mind the impact of future developments in
> the two OS's on the above.
>
> Those of you that have used both Unixware and NT, what have your
> experiences been?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Aaron Buhr

Hope this help
  MK Received on Wed Jun 10 1998 - 03:47:21 CDT