Unixware 2.1/7.0 vs NT 4.0 for Oracle 7.3/8.0

From: Aaron Buhr <aaronmb_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 21:46:01 GMT

    What is the consensus for using NT vs. Unixware 2.1 or 7.0 for an Oracle 7.3/8.0 database server? Our database is not very large, so I am not as concerned about performance as I am about reliability. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind getting feedback about the the criteria I plan to use when evaluating the two:

    Stability
    Performance
    Maintainability:

        Easy & efficiency of administration
        Availability of third-party utility & driver software
        Availability of third-party support
        Need for regular patching

    Flexibility - what other server applications can the platform support?

    Ease & efficiency of application development     Security
    Cost - both software & licensing as well as resource requirements

    And I intend to keep in mind the impact of future developments in the two OS's on the above.

    Those of you that have used both Unixware and NT, what have your experiences been?

    Thanks.

Aaron Buhr Received on Tue Jun 09 1998 - 16:46:01 CDT