Re: ORA-12571 when inserting records (V7.3.3/W-NT4.0) ORACLE has no real solution?!

From: <sashac_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 14:46:10 GMT

The error does not actually depends on the number of records, but on the size of a package transfered over SQL*NET using TCP/IP. For example the same error happens when transfering stored procedures/packages etc. In my example 500 records meant 500 records with each record was round 100 bytes. The error occurs even with 50 records (for example) if the records are bigger.

It does not help much to increase the CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER since the target ORACLE DB is very, very fast (VAX ALPHA inserting hundreds of records per second!). The problem is the TCP/IP "handshaking" (NOT W-NT or VAX/VMS or hardware). What may help is increasing the IP Window size. I still did not try that.

Regards
Sasha

In article <6km7to$8p4$1_at_otis.netspace.net.au>,   lijoecyn_at_netspace.net.au (joseph Li) wrote:

> You are right, ORA-12571 is a common error associated with SQL*Net V2,
> SQL*Net thinks the connection is broken while you are inserting lots of
> rows into the Oracle database. The default timeout period is 10 secs.
> In the Listener.ora you can set a longer timeout period with the line
> CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 300 , which means 5 minutes. Myself and others
> have encountered this error with the TCP/IP protocol. You raised an
> interesting point, that DECNET works ok. without this parameter being
> set. But I am a bit surprised that an INSERT of 500 records would cause
> this error, normally I would expect many many more.
>
> Regards
> Joe
>
> In article <6k8ki7$t52$1_at_news.imp.ch>, "Aleksandar (Sasha) Cvetkovic"
<Aleksandar.Cvetkovic_at_syseca.ch> says: